Help to ID this OSB material

Hey guys,
I saw this in a coffee shop and was wondering what type of material this is. Hemp OSB, maybe? Could be cool for furniture!

1 Like

It looks like regular OSB to me, kind of hard to Guage the scale though. I doubt it is hemp, there isn’t much wood material in the hemp stalks.

Peace, Wolf

This is standard OSB I think. Looks quite different to me.

I wonder if @jiggliemon would have any insight. He constructed the member project wall.

@LoboFPV, you are incorrect. Hemp wood is a product. Glue and fibers makes OSB.

Searching Hemp wood, turns up hempwood.com and hemp wood panels.
https://hempwood.com/product/hempwood-panels/

I’m going with hemp wood panels.

1 Like

I think @jiggliemon should be in on this thread as an OSB furniture fan :slight_smile:

My money is on normal OSB, but sanded down. Because it’s non-uniform it sands down into a certain kind of entropy. Non-sanded OSB seems to have a lot more square edges.

Although it could be from some particular manufacturer.

I’m with you in that I feel like OSB looks real cool. It’s worth saying, however, that it’s not budget material. The amount of work required to make it work and to machine it is non-trivial. And it will chew through blades and edges much faster than hardwood. Additionally, it requires special consideration where gluing is concerned. I like it because it’s a unique “fish out of water” look. But it’s anything but convenient.

Hemp looks very much like straw and is not very woody. The hempwood products I see have long skinny strands compressed with adhesives added. For flooring, it is backed with a substrate of either OSB or traditional plywood.

There are different species of trees used in OSB. Around here pine is very common, but other regions use the trailings from other species. I have toured a plant that makes OSB, so I am familiar with the process.

As I said before without a scale reference, it is hard to see the composition. That said, the original sample appears to have wood shavings in it. Again scale is hard to tell.

https://images.app.goo.gl/9eyFd82FcvT1TLTQ8

My 3 cents: Poplar OSB. Not very common in the US. I have only seen in crating material coming outside the US, from Australia. Thats the reason I remember, it got my attention. I have also seen it in crates when I was deployed to Kwait. I think the major difference ( other than the wood species) is the yellowish tint is missing on it. OSB looks rather good if you can get it flat enough and use a good stain that gives it an even color accross. The flattening and the time spent in the process plus the materials defeats the $$ you save in the cost of the substrate.

This is normal trash OSB that’s been put through the drum sander. You can see it breaks up the straight edges and creates a little more chaotic pattern.