Free Transmission Electron Microscope with extra parts

In South Austin It will need some work but comes with a very descriptive service manual that explains its function and electronics so well you could use it to make a new control system. This microscope can resolve features down to 3.5 Angstrom. The electron optics were overhauled before it was decommissioned a while back. A great project for a hacker /maker group. It is a heavy beast tho, (over 2000lbs total) and will need to be picked up by a moving truck. Needs to be gone by end of month.

2 Likes

I would be interested in helping. I can try to help get it set up and operational. I’m not sure where the best place to put it would be. I’m thinking sawdust is not a good idea to be around it.

Do you know if it comes with a microtome? Or an ion milling system? Or for that matter any other accessories. Since it is a transmission electron microscope, there would need to be someway to prepare specimens.

Fred.
There is another one available, and it to comes with extra parts and a service manual. It does not come with a microtome or any other sample prep equipment unfortunately. I may be able to throw in some old samples for you too mess with. It needs about a 10x15 climate control space at least with a good slabfloor. Also, 40Amp service and a chiller.
I rarely get on here so reach out to me at roguescientist84@gmail.com and I will send you pictures. It’s a Philip’s EM420 and can resolve 2.2 Angstrom when properly functioning. It’s a great scope, in fact I have one myself in stoarage waiting for me to buy a house with suitable space. -Butch

Thanks. It’s probably a pipe dream. I’m not sure if we have the space or power. But it would be awesome! I have four storage units myself. I guess we could go for five :slight_smile:

Fred R. Martin, M.D.