Face mask primer

Simply capping the valve, as Lobo stated previously, results in the inhalation filter losing effectiveness over time much more quickly. A P100 respirator with a surgical mask placed over the exhaust, folded in a way to minimize leaks or sealed with gaffing tape, or printing an exhaust is much more effective all around. A surgical mask should be placed in a way that at least half of the surface area is still available.

Well said!

Fred R. Martin, M.D.

This is the stuff that did not get in my lungs with the Gill mask There’s a before and after. The dust is very fine. It was not collecting on my old mask. I feel like this really kept dust out of my lungs. Thanks again @cfstaley

1 Like

1 Like

Wow, that’s dramatic! I need to get me one of those. Thanks @Fmartin and @cfstaley

Thanks, Fred. What filter medium is that? Mine collects pretty well, and I’m using 4 layers. But that looks a little better. I look at the 4th layer, to see if I can see any image, and there’s not much. But there’s a trace.

I have the gilmask also. I use the equivalent blue shop towel from Wipall.

It is Merv 16 material from Amazon made for making facemasks. It is in a roll that’s roughly 1 foot wide by 5 feet long. I’m only using one layer of it. It says it is three layers thick. Here is the link

MERV 16 Filter Material, Filter Mask Insert Triple Layered Protection Nonwoven Polypropylene & Nanofiber, Efficiency Breathable DIY Design Media Roll, Easy to Cut Any Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P7373BZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_i_Awn1Fb3HW2VGY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought FP 95 material from the Gill website. Five dollars for 10 filters. They offer a discount for more quantity. It is supposed to be the equivalent of N 95. They offer another filter which is less filtration. Be aware that their filtration rating system it’s different for the two different filter media.
The FP 95 is rated in particle filtration efficiency (PFE) of 95%
Where is the FS2 is rated in bacterial filtration efficiency. This is a much looser definition and I’m sure a much larger particle size. I would not use these. They are supplying them for free with some masks.
Right now they’re offering a Christmas discount and multiple bundles of filters with masks. I missed out on this as I already ordered all the masks I need. I hope someone can benefit from this.

I am using a gill mask because of this thread and I love it, thank you @cfstaley for the recommendation. It is very comfortable to wear and easy to change out the filters (using the Merv 16 @Fmartin recommended).

The only downside I have found is that condensation from my breathing builds up inside the mask (after hours of use, not a few minutes). The condensation while wearing is not a problem normally. But if it gets into the filter and the filter gets wet you literally can’t breath at all in it. So fix for this is that every time I take my mask off I will wipe it down to keep it dry and I carry extra filters with me, just in case I accidentally get it wet. Overall though A+ rating on the mask.

3 Likes

I ordered one as well, so appreciate the info. Thanks!

I used my Gill mask for the first time today, and it was great. Much easier to breathe through than a cloth mask. It stayed solid on my face. I used a few layers of the filter material I have, and the outer layer was coated in sawdust, and nothing made it through to the inner layers. A+

3 Likes