Ceiling mounted receptacle at rear of auto bay miswired

The retractable power cord at the rear of the auto bay is wired with reversed polarity. I brought my camper in to winterize it tonight and my energy management system threw an error when I tried to plug in using that outlet. I used the outlet from the welding area instead which worked fine.

I covered the outlets with a note and defective stickers. These outlets should not be used until someone can wire them correctly and verify with an outlet tester. Note that although electrical equipment appears to work correctly when the polarity is reversed, this presents a shock hazard. Equipment that uses a polarized plug, that is one blade is wider than the other, is designed to cut power to the hot wire. If the polarity is reversed you can still be shocked even when the device is shut because the connection to the neutral wire is not broken by the switch, and in this case would be be live.

@stewards

2 Likes

Wow, really? OK I did not know that. Yep being wired backwards is indeed a safety problem to address, as you describe. Thanks!

2 Likes

It’s one of those weird faults that you would never notice unless you were shocked or something, and even that is unlikely. I don’t know of any electronics or electrical gear that throws an error other than that EMS or one of those outlet testers. Maybe some surge protectors?

I have an outlet tester if you need one.

1 Like

I wonder if the cord reel was mis-wired internally from the factory. I wired both outlets on the ceiling in the autobay and metal shop. I generally don’t mis-wire things.

3 Likes

Thanks PJ for posting. We can add to the “skilled volunteer needed” list – really appreciate you noticing this.

2 Likes

Apparently I wired it wrong. It is now fixed.

3 Likes

Thanks for fixing it!

Easy mistake to make, I had a professionally miswired outlet in our last house.

1 Like

professionals are licensed to make bigger mistakes :slight_smile:

2 Likes